Professor of Fine Arts (80%)
- LUCA School of Arts
- Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest
Professor of Fine Arts with research and teaching tasks
(indefinite term - 0.80 FTE appointment)
LUCA School of Arts
Main location: Sint-Lukas Brussel
Who we are
LUCA School of Arts is a multidisciplinary educational and research environment in which creative talent can develop on an artistic, performative and technical level. LUCA promotes the practice of art and creative design as well as the development of innovative insight. LUCA combines the strength and expertise of five renowned institutions on as many campuses: Sint-Lukas Brussel, Narafi Brussel, C-mine Genk, Sint-Lucas Gent and Lemmens Leuven. With over 600 staff members and nearly 3,500 students, LUCA School of Arts is a creative hub for over 4,000 artists, musicians, theatrical and film producers, photographers and designers.
Your assignment consists of providing academic art education in the Fine art studio (BA and/or MA), developing research oriented courses (‘speerpuntvakken’), and iniatiting/executing research projects. In addition to these academic tasks, you may also be assigned organisational, coordinative or administrative responsibilites.
The specific teaching tasks will be tailored to your experience and skills.
The research/education ratio will be 40-40%.
The research assignment consists of the development of or collaboration within the research domain of Intermedia.
To this end, you will focus on supervising doctorate programmes, postdoctoral programmes and raising external project funding. You will develop a research line by setting up projects in (at least) one of the following key domains of research on the campus: intermediality, transhistoricity and narrativity. This artistic research should focus on future directions of Visual Arts, and be open for collaboration and crossovers between Fine art and other (Audio)Visual Arts.
- supervising BA and/or MA students in Fine art
- supervising researchers assistants and postdoctoral researchers
- conceiving new courses or educational concepts to provide education tailored to the student community
- mentoring students in the conception of both the artistic and the reflective aspects of graduation projects and research assignments
- teaching and co-ordinating a course unit or a group of course units
- supervising assistants within a course unit or a group of course units
- developing activities within the relevant research domains. You will indicate how your future research can play a role within one or more of the campus's research domains and how the research can contribute to the further integration of research and education
- actively participating in academic/artistic research—more specifically, by contributing to the development of a vision on artistic research within the school’s various programmes
- acquiring external research funding
- a doctorate in the arts
- strong research portfolio (international research experience strongly desired)
- a position as a practicing artist in the international field of contemporary art
- a strong affinity with the specific work attitude and problematics of students in Fine art
- relevant experience in a higher education teaching assignment in the domain of Fine art
- an experience in project coordination and funding acquisition (in an international context)
- strong managerial and organisational skills
- strong didactic skills
- an ability to work autonomously, a sense of responsibility and resistance to stress
- good communicative and collaborative skills, inventive in generating ideas, someone who looks for improvements and experiments with new concepts
- Proficient in Dutch and English in accordance with the language requirements applicable to higher education (or eager to learn Dutch in the short term) (Codex Hoger onderwijs art. II.270)
- loyal to the institution's assignment, mission, vision and education policy plan
- willingness to incorporate your own artistic activity in the framework of artistic research
What we offer
We offer a 0.8 FTE appointment for an indefinite term in the position of professor ("docent" – salary scale 528) for which appointment or expansion at a later stage is possible in accordance with the existing rules and procedures. For more information on the salary scales, please visit the website of the Ministry of Education (www.ond.vlaanderen.be).
For more information on this position, please contact Nicola Setari, Head of Visual Arts, campus Sint-Lukas Brussels, firstname.lastname@example.org
For procedural questions, please contact email@example.com.
We want to highlight that candidates can apply for multiple job offerings (https://www.luca-arts.be/nl/vacatures).
Send in your application by 16 May 2021, LUCA School of Arts, HR department through CV Warehouse.
Your application must contain a dossier (1 PDF) consisting of:
- Your CV;
- A cover letter outlining your vision on your future activities in the field of research as well as education at LUCA, and your added value for our school;
- A portfolio;
- An attestation of diploma (or declaration of equivalence of the requested diploma, if applicable).
The selection consists of:
- a preselection based on the submitted dossiers;
- a selection interview with the candidates on 08/06/2021, 14/06/2021 or 15/06/21 between 9.30 am and 1.00 pm.
The candidate will be appointed by the Executive Committee; The expected date of commencement is 15 September 2021.
LUCA School of Arts wants to create an environment in which all talents can be developed to their full potential, regardless of gender, age, cultural origin, nationality or disability.
LUCA School of Arts
LUCA School of Arts is een multidisciplinaire onderwijs- en onderzoeksomgeving waarbinnen creatief talent zich artistiek, uitvoerend en technisch kan ontplooien en ontwikkelen. LUCA bevordert zowel het beoefenen van kunst en het creatief ontwerpen als het ontwikkelen van vernieuwende inzichten. LUCA bundelt de kracht en de expertise van vijf gerenommeerde instellingen op evenveel campussen: Sint-Lukas Brussel, Narafi Brussel, C-mine Genk, Sint-Lucas Gent en Lemmens Leuven. Met meer dan 600 personeelsleden en bijna 3.500 studenten is LUCA School of Arts een creatieve hub voor meer dan 4.000 kunstenaars, muzikanten, theater- en filmmakers, fotografen en ontwerpers.Bezoek de website